Sunday, April 22, 2012

Just another bend in the river...



I spoke about labels in my profile.  What has had me thinking a lot about the subject lately is trying to come up with name or phrase that sums up my relationship with Cancer.
 
A year ago I was feeling great when within one weeks time I was diagnosed with Kidney Cancer and operated on to remove my left kidney.  A few weeks later I was out with my husband in our little town when an acquaintance asked me what had happened.  I replied, “well supposedly I had cancer.” Supposedly?  I laughed at myself, we all laughed.  Talk about denial!
 
Now I’m facing another go around with cancer.  It has spread to my lung and I’m scheduled for surgery on Wednesday to remove my right upper lobe (lung.)

Surely I’m grateful the label cancer “victim” is out of fashion.  No one wants to be victim but I’m too much of a pacifist to call myself a “fighter” or “warrior.”  If I end up dying an old woman of something completely unrelated to cancer, only then do I feel I could be labeled a "survivor.” 

So what then?  What makes sense to me?  If one must come up with a name for it…I’ll call myself a cancer “alive-er.”  I’m alive now, and as we all have said, but is often hard to do… I’ll try to remember to enjoy life and treat every day as precious. 

4 comments:

  1. I admire your attitude...a few years ago I "supposedly" had a heart attack not something a 49 physically fit person was supposed to be doing on a warm October morning but now sometimes people will ask me in that funny voice how I am doing and I will smile and say great why...and then they say well you know your heart and I am always surprised that I often forget I even had a heart attack...it is all about attitude so keep the one you have..ginnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.

    As a member of the MARTI Cat Herder team I poke around the classes and I am always stunned everyday in every way. Your postings and my reflections are days apart. First off, your pictures are beautiful. Secondly, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your contributions. That you take the time and contribute is just the elixir I need to keep going. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I have a quick question about your blog, would you mind emailing me when you get a chance?

    Thanks,

    Cameron

    cameronvsj(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete